The DICT Development Group
3 definitions found
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
makeup \make"up`\, make-up \make"-up`\(m[=a]k"[u^]p`), n.
1. The way in which the parts of anything are put together.
The unthinking masses are necessarily teleological
in their mental make-up. --L. F. Ward.
2. The constituent parts of anything; as, the makeup of the
new congress was predominantly conservative.
3. Cosmetics applied to the face, such as lipstick, facial
power, or eye shadow.
4. The aggregate of cosmetics and costume worn by an actor.
5. The effect or appearance of the wearing of makeup (in
senses 3 or 4); often, the way in which an actor is
dressed, painted, etc., in personating a character; as,
her makeup was very realistic.
6. An action that is taken to fulfill a requirement not
accomplished at the expected time, such as a make-up
examination; as, the student took his make-up on Saturday.
7. (Printing) The appearance of a page of a publication,
specifically the type style of the text and the spatial
arrangement of the text, illustrations, advertising
material etc., on the page.
8. (Printing) The art or process of arranging the portions of
a printed publication on the pages for esthetic reasons or
for optimal effect on the reader.
From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) :
n 1: makeup that is used to color the lips [syn: lipstick,
v 1: form by tracing with lipstick; "The clown had lipsticked
circles on his cheeks"
2: apply lipstick to; "She lipsticked her mouth"
From Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0 :
43 Moby Thesaurus words for "lipstick":
base, carmine, clown white, cold cream, compact, cosmetics,
crimson, drugstore complexion, eye shadow, eyebrow pencil,
foundation, foundation cream, greasepaint, hand cream, hand lotion,
henna, incarnadine, inflame, lip rouge, madder, makeup, mascara,
miniate, mudpack, nail polish, paint, powder, powder puff, puff,
red-ink, redden, rouge, rubify, rubric, ruddle, rust, talcum,
talcum powder, vanishing cream, vanity case, vermilion, war paint,
Questions or comments about this site?