The DICT Development Group
2 definitions found
for CD drive
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Drive \Drive\ (dr[imac]v), n.
1. The act of driving; a trip or an excursion in a carriage,
as for exercise or pleasure; -- distinguished from a ride
taken on horseback.
2. A place suitable or agreeable for driving; a road prepared
3. Violent or rapid motion; a rushing onward or away; esp., a
forced or hurried dispatch of business.
The Murdstonian drive in business. --M. Arnold.
4. In type founding and forging, an impression or matrix,
formed by a punch drift.
5. A collection of objects that are driven; a mass of logs to
be floated down a river. [Colloq.]
Syn: See Ride.
6. a private road; a driveway.
7. a strong psychological motivation to perform some
8. (Computers) a device for reading or writing data from or
to a data storage medium, as a disk drive, a tape
drive, a CD drive, etc.
9. an organized effort by a group to accomplish a goal within
a limited period of time; as, a fund-raising drive.
10. a physiological function of an organism motivating it to
perform specific behaviors; as, the sex drive.
11. (Football) the period during which one team sustains
movement of the ball toward the opponent's goal without
losing possession of the ball; as, a long drive
12. an act of driving a vehicle, especially an automobile;
the journey undertaken by driving an automobile; as, to
go for a drive in the country.
13. the mechanism which causes the moving parts of a machine
to move; as, a belt drive.
14. the way in which the propulsive force of a vehicle is
transmitted to the road; as, a car with four-wheel drive,
front-wheel drive, etc.
From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) :
n 1: a drive that reads a compact disc and that is connected to
an audio system
Questions or comments about this site?