The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
for Cut film
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Film \Film\, n. [AS. film skin, fr. fell skin; akin to fylmen
membrane, OFries. filmene skin. See Fell skin.]
1. A thin skin; a pellicle; a membranous covering, causing
He from thick films shall purge the visual ray.
2. hence, any thin layer covering a surface.
[1913 Webster +PJC]
3. A slender thread, as that of a cobweb.
Her whip of cricket's bone, the lash of film.
4. (Photog.) The layer, usually of gelatin or collodion,
containing the sensitive salts of photographic plates.
5. (Photog.) a flexible sheet of celluloid or other plastic
material to which a light-sensitive layer has been
applied, used for recording images by the processes of
photography. It is commonly used in rolls mounted within
light-proof canisters suitable for simple insertion into
cameras designed for such canisters. On such rolls,
varying numbers of photographs may be taken before the
canister needs to be replaced.
6. a motion picture.
7. the art of making motion pictures; -- used mostly in the
phrase the film.
8. a thin transparent sheet of plastic, used for wrapping
objects; as, polyethylene film.
Celluloid film (Photog.), a thin flexible sheet of
celluloid, coated with a sensitized emulsion of gelatin,
and used as a substitute for photographic plates.
Cut film (Photog.), a celluloid film cut into pieces
suitable for use in a camera.
[Webster 1913 Suppl.]
Questions or comments about this site?