The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Gallery \Gal"ler*y\, n.; pl. Galleries. [F. galerie, It.
galleria, fr. LL. galeria gallery, perh. orig., a festal
hall, banquetting hall; cf. OF. galerie a rejoicing, fr.
galer to rejoice. Cf. Gallant, a.]
1. A long and narrow corridor, or place for walking; a
connecting passageway, as between one room and another;
also, a long hole or passage excavated by a boring or
2. A room for the exhibition of works of art; as, a picture
gallery; hence, also, a large or important collection of
paintings, sculptures, etc.
3. A long and narrow platform attached to one or more sides
of public hall or the interior of a church, and supported
by brackets or columns; -- sometimes intended to be
occupied by musicians or spectators, sometimes designed
merely to increase the capacity of the hall.
4. (Naut.) A frame, like a balcony, projecting from the stern
or quarter of a ship, and hence called stern gallery or
quarter gallery, -- seldom found in vessels built since
5. (Fort.) Any communication which is covered overhead as
well as at the sides. When prepared for defense, it is a
6. (Mining) A working drift or level.
Whispering gallery. See under Whispering.
Questions or comments about this site?