The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
for Gouge bit
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Gouge \Gouge\, n. [F. gouge. LL. gubia, guvia, gulbia, gulvia,
gulvium; cf. Bisc. gubia bow, gubioa throat.]
1. A chisel, with a hollow or semicylindrical blade, for
scooping or cutting holes, channels, or grooves, in wood,
stone, etc.; a similar instrument, with curved edge, for
2. A bookbinder's tool for blind tooling or gilding, having a
face which forms a curve.
3. An incising tool which cuts forms or blanks for gloves,
envelopes, etc. from leather, paper, etc. --Knight.
4. (Mining) Soft material lying between the wall of a vein
and the solid vein. --Raymond.
5. The act of scooping out with a gouge, or as with a gouge;
a groove or cavity scooped out, as with a gouge.
6. Imposition; cheat; fraud; also, an impostor; a cheat; a
trickish person. [Slang, U. S.]
Gouge bit, a boring bit, shaped like a gouge.
Questions or comments about this site?