The DICT Development Group
2 definitions found
for In private
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Private \Pri"vate\ (pr[imac]"v[asl]t), n.
1. A secret message; a personal unofficial communication.
2. Personal interest; particular business.[Obs.]
Nor must I be unmindful of my private. --B. Jonson.
3. Privacy; retirement. [Archaic] "Go off; I discard you; let
me enjoy my private." --Shak.
4. One not invested with a public office. [Archaic]
What have kings, that privates have not too? --Shak.
5. (Mil.) A common soldier; a soldier below the grade of a
noncommissioned officer. --Macaulay.
6. pl. The private parts; the genitals.
In private, secretly; not openly or publicly.
From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) :
adv 1: kept private or confined to those intimately concerned;
"it was discussed privately between the two men";
"privately, she thought differently"; "some member of his
own party hoped privately for his defeat"; "he was
questioned in private" [syn: privately, in private,
in camera] [ant: in public, publically, publicly]
Questions or comments about this site?