The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Manage \Man"age\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Managed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Managing.] [From Manage, n.]
1. To have under control and direction; to conduct; to guide;
to administer; to treat; to handle.
Long tubes are cumbersome, and scarce to be easily
managed. --Sir I.
What wars Imanage, and what wreaths I gain. --Prior.
2. Hence, Esp.: to guide by careful or delicate treatment; to
wield with address; to make subservient by artful conduct;
to bring around cunningly to one's plans.
It was so much his interest to manage his Protestant
It was not her humor to manage those over whom she
had gained an ascendant. --Bp. Hurd.
3. To train in the manege, as a horse; to exercise in
graceful or artful action.
4. To treat with care; to husband. --Dryden.
5. To bring about; to contrive. --Shak.
Syn: To direct; govern; control; wield; order; contrive;
concert; conduct; transact.
Questions or comments about this site?