The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Override \O`ver*ride"\, v. t. [imp. Overrode; p. p.
Overridden, Overrode, Overrid; p. pr. & vb. n.
Overriding.] [AS. offer[imac]dan.]
1. To ride over or across; to ride upon; to trample down.
The carter overridden with [i. e., by] his cart.
2. To suppress; to destroy; to supersede; to annul; to
nullify; as, one law overrides another; to override a
3. Hence: To countermand; to overrule; as, a supervisor may
override the decision of a subordinate.
4. To replace (one system with another); as, the pilot
overrode the automatic pilot and took manual control of
5. To ride beyond; to pass; to outride. [Obs.]
I overrode him on the way. --Shak.
6. To ride too much; to ride, as a horse, beyond its
Questions or comments about this site?