The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
for To figure up
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Figure \Fig"ure\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Figured; p. pr. & vb. n.
Figuring.] [F. figurer, L. figurare, fr. figura. See
1. To represent by a figure, as to form or mold; to make an
image of, either palpable or ideal; also, to fashion into
a determinate form; to shape.
If love, alas! be pain I bear,
No thought can figure, and no tongue declare.Prior.
2. To embellish with design; to adorn with figures.
The vaulty top of heaven
Figured quite o'er with burning meteors. --Shak.
3. To indicate by numerals; also, to compute.
As through a crystal glass the figured hours are
4. To represent by a metaphor; to signify or symbolize.
Whose white vestments figure innocence. --Shak.
5. To prefigure; to foreshow.
In this the heaven figures some event. --Shak.
(a) To write over or under the bass, as figures or other
characters, in order to indicate the accompanying
(b) To embellish.
To figure out, to solve; to compute or find the result of.
To figure up, to add; to reckon; to compute the amount of.
Questions or comments about this site?