The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
for To have one''s fling
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Fling \Fling\, n.
1. A cast from the hand; a throw; also, a flounce; a kick;
as, the fling of a horse.
2. A severe or contemptuous remark; an expression of
sarcastic scorn; a gibe; a sarcasm.
I, who love to have a fling,
Both at senate house and king. --Swift.
3. A kind of dance; as, the Highland fling.
4. A trifing matter; an object of contempt. [Obs.]
England were but a fling
Save for the crooked stick and the gray goose wing.
5. a short period during which one indulges one's wishes,
whims, or desires in an unrestrained manner.
6. a love affair.
7. a casual or brief attempt to accomplish something.
8. a period during which one tries a new activity; as, he
took a fling at playing tennis.
To have one's fling, to enjoy one's self to the full; to
have a season of dissipation. --J. H. Newman. "When I was
as young as you, I had my fling. I led a life of
pleasure." --D. Jerrold.
Questions or comments about this site?