The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
for To list a stock
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
List \List\ (l[i^]st), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Listed; p. pr. &
vb. n. Listing.] [From list a roll.]
1. To sew together, as strips of cloth, so as to make a show
of colors, or form a border. --Sir H. Wotton.
2. To cover with list, or with strips of cloth; to put list
on; as, to list a door; to stripe as if with list.
The tree that stood white-listed through the gloom.
3. To enroll; to place or register in a list.
Listed among the upper serving men. --Milton.
4. To engage, as a soldier; to enlist.
I will list you for my soldier. --Sir W.
5. (Carp.) To cut away a narrow strip, as of sapwood, from
the edge of; as, to list a board.
To list a stock (Stock Exchange), to put it in the list of
stocks called at the meeting of the board.
Questions or comments about this site?