The DICT Development Group
2 definitions found
for booster dose
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Booster \Boost"er\ (b[=oo]st"[~e]r), n.
1. (Elec.) An instrument for regulating the electro-motive
force in an alternating-current circuit; -- so called
because used to "boost", or raise, the pressure in the
[Webster 1913 Suppl.]
2. an enthusiastic supporter.
3. the first stage of a multistage rocket, providing all or
part of the driving force at lift-off and until the second
stage ignites, whether or not the booster stage is
detached after the fuel is spent. Also called booster
rocket. In some cases, a booster has been used to assist
the takeoff of airplanes.
4. (Med.) an immunizing medication given after an initial
immunizing treatment, to provide increased or extended
immunity. Also called booster dose. When in the form of
an injection, it may be called a booster shot.
5. any auxiliary device or part of a device to provide
increased power, force, or effectiveness, as with a
6. (Mil.) an explosive charge which is more powerful than a
primer, used in conjunction with a primer to assure
detonation of the main charge. Integrated blasting caps
containing separate compartments for primer and booster
are used as detonators for certain explosives.
From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) :
n 1: an additional dose that makes sure the first dose was
effective [syn: booster, booster dose, booster shot,
Questions or comments about this site?