The DICT Development Group
2 definitions found
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
hard-wired \hard"-wired"\, hard wired \hard"
1. (Computers) Contained within the circuitry of a computer
or computer peripheral device, and not changeable by
programming; -- of functions; as, error correction is
hard-wired into the circuit of the disk drive, so it
proceeds very rapidly.
2. Connected by a continuous electrical wire, rather than
through a switch; as, the air-conditioner was hard-wired
into the wall circuit, so moving it would require an
3. (Metaph.) Performed by an inborn pattern of neural
circuits; instinctive; not learned; as, many bird songs
are hard-wired, but some are learned.
People, as the cybernetic metaphor now has it, are
"hard wired" to do good in order to enhance their
own happiness. --Andrew Delbanco (New York Times
Magazine, May 7, 2000; p. 46).
From The Jargon File (version 4.4.7, 29 Dec 2003) :
1. In software, syn. for hardcoded.
2. By extension, anything that is not modifiable, especially in the sense
of customizable to one's particular needs or tastes.
Questions or comments about this site?