The DICT Development Group
2 definitions found
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Narrowly \Nar"row*ly\, adv. [AS. nearulice.]
1. With little breadth; in a narrow manner.
2. Without much extent; contractedly.
3. With minute scrutiny; closely; as, to look or watch
narrowly; to search narrowly.
4. With a little margin or space; by a small distance; hence,
closely; hardly; barely; only just; -- often with
reference to an avoided danger or misfortune; as, he
5. Sparingly; parsimoniously.
6. With close adherence to the literal meaning of a text; as,
to interpret narrowly; to construe narrowly; to read
narrowly; -- used especially of laws and contracts.
From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) :
adv 1: in a narrow manner; not allowing for exceptions; "he
interprets the law narrowly" [ant: broadly, broadly
speaking, generally, loosely]
Questions or comments about this site?