The DICT Development Group

Search for:
Search type:

Database copyright information
Server information
Wiki: Resources, links, and other information

5 definitions found
 for selvage
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :

  Selvage \Sel"vage\, Selvedge \Sel"vedge\, n. [Self + edge, i.
     e., its own proper edge; cf. OD. selfegge.]
     1. The edge of cloth which is woven in such a manner as to
        prevent raveling.
        [1913 Webster]
     2. The edge plate of a lock, through which the bolt passes.
        [1913 Webster]
     3. (Mining.) A layer of clay or decomposed rock along the
        wall of a vein. See Gouge, n., 4. --Raymond.
        [1913 Webster] Selvaged

From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) :

      n 1: border consisting of an ornamental fringe at either end of
           an oriental carpet [syn: selvage, selvedge]
      2: the edge of a fabric that is woven so that it will not ravel
         or fray [syn: selvage, selvedge]

From Moby Thesaurus II by Grady Ward, 1.0 :

  48 Moby Thesaurus words for "selvage":
     bank, beading, binding, board, border, bordering, bordure, brim,
     brink, brow, coast, edge, edging, featheredge, fimbria,
     fimbriation, flange, flounce, frame, frill, frilling, fringe,
     furbelow, galloon, hem, labellum, labium, labrum, ledge, limb,
     limbus, lip, list, marge, margin, motif, ragged edge, rim, ruffle,
     shore, side, sideline, skirt, skirting, trimming, valance, verge,

From The Jargon File (version 4.4.7, 29 Dec 2003) :

   /sel'v@j/, n.
      [from sewing and weaving] See chad (sense 1).

From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (18 March 2015) :

      /chad/ (Or "selvage" /sel'v*j/ (sewing and
     weaving), "{perf", "perfory", "snaf").  1. The perforated
     edge strips on paper for sprocket feed printers, after they
     have been separated from the printed portion.
     The term perf may also refer to the perforations themselves,
     rather than the chad they produce when torn.
     [Why "snaf"?]
     2. (Or "chaff", "computer confetti", "keypunch droppings") The
     confetti-like bits punched out of punched cards or paper
     tape which collected in the chad box.
     One of the Jargon File's correspondents believed that "chad"
     derived from the chadless keypunch.
     [{Jargon File]

Questions or comments about this site? Contact webmaster@dict.org