The DICT Development Group
2 definitions found
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 :
Sweeten \Sweet"en\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sweetened; p. pr. &
vb. n. Sweetening.] [See Sweet, a.]
1. To make sweet to the taste; as, to sweeten tea.
2. To make pleasing or grateful to the mind or feelings; as,
to sweeten life; to sweeten friendship.
3. To make mild or kind; to soften; as, to sweeten the
4. To make less painful or laborious; to relieve; as, to
sweeten the cares of life. --Dryden.
And sweeten every secret tear. --Keble.
5. To soften to the eye; to make delicate.
Correggio has made his memory immortal by the
strength he has given to his figures, and by
sweetening his lights and shadows, and melting them
into each other. --Dryden.
6. To make pure and salubrious by destroying noxious matter;
as, to sweeten rooms or apartments that have been
infected; to sweeten the air.
7. To make warm and fertile; -- opposed to sour; as, to dry
and sweeten soils.
8. To restore to purity; to free from taint; as, to sweeten
water, butter, or meat.
From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) :
adj 1: with sweetening added [syn: sugared, sweetened,
Questions or comments about this site?