The DICT Development Group
1 definition found
From The Jargon File (version 4.4.7, 29 Dec 2003) :
[very common; back-formation from crufty]
1. n. An unpleasant substance. The dust that gathers under your bed
is cruft; the TMRC Dictionary correctly noted that attacking it with
a broom only produces more.
2. n. The results of shoddy construction.
3. vt. [from hand cruft, pun on `hand craft'] To write assembler
code for something normally (and better) done by a compiler (see
4. n. Excess; superfluous junk; used esp. of redundant or superseded
5. [University of Wisconsin] n. Cruft is to hackers as gaggle is to
geese; that is, at UW one properly says "a cruft of hackers".
Questions or comments about this site?